Sunday, April 4, 2010

A One-man Easter Parade

Today I worked the morning to get some of my bathroom remodeling done, so that I could hit the road with my Motorbike guilt free. I'm typing this with dried paint on my hands because I couldn't be bothered to waste the time washing up before hitting the road for a very specific ride; MALIBU.

It's All Wally's Fault
Over the past few weeks, Wally will occasionally tell me about the rides he goes on. leaving from his home in New Bedford Mass, where I know the landscape is beautiful, and I get a little jealous. For me, I have to drive several miles of freeway and traffic just to get into pretty roads. It' wasn't until today that I ventured farther out than I ever have, with a full tank of gas and an agenda.

I remembered Malibu Canyon road, because I climbed it as a challenge hill a few years ago on my Calfee. I thought maybe I should make it a destination ride, and head up there. I had no idea what I would find.

It took me a good 45 minutes of freeway driving to reach the road (Las Virgenes Canyon Rd.) and the first thing I noticed was all the motorbikes headed down the road. I instantly knew I was in the right place. It was prettier than I remembered, and the road was winding and steep and just one lane. Such a more satisfying ride than going full out in one high gear at 75 mph, dodging cars who spill into my lane on the freeway. I was traveling through tunnels, and cresting the top of a hill when a few crotch-rocket bikes came up behind and screamed by me at ridiculous speeds, and then I saw the Ocean. The dark blue pacific unfolded in front of me as I came down the final few miles of ribbon road stretched out in front of me.
My first plan was to turn left and drive the pacific coast highway back to Santa Monica, and the freeway home again but instead I decided to turn right, head north along the beach for a while. I wasn't done riding yet.


A few miles up the road I came to Latigo Canyon rd. This was another hill I remember climbing on my road bike a year or so ago on a training ride for the AIDS/Lifecycle. I Know it comes out in the Calabasas area, so I took it and started climbing.

The top of that road made me giddy, every turn was another fantastic view of the ocean from a full story higher up. I was surprised by all the other motorbikes I saw on this road, and even rode a while with another guy who had my exact same bike. He grew tired of my pokey novice pace and moved on eventually, but it was a thrill to be one of the bikes on the road today.

My entire ride was about 110 miles, through mountain, canyon and sea-view roads. I stopped at a gas station to have a drink and call Wally, told him I found a great ride to take him on when he gets here in July.

While I was there, all kinds of bikes pulled in to get gas, including a BMW 1150 with steel panniers and stickers just like the bikes in documentary I'm watching, "Long Way Round". By the time I got home I was a full three hours gone, and it was by far the Longest ride I've been on by myself. I made the mistake of taking the exit from the 134 into Griffith park and was met by nothing but traffic, Easter barbeques and Picnics infested the park, and the roads were clogged with minivans and SUV's. I was held captive in first gear for 30 minutes before I found my way out of there, effectively snapped back into the reality that is urban life.

After coming home and watching the remaining episodes of the documentary, I can't wait for my next ride out, and after talking with Wally again today about the Rally in Oregon, I definitely can't wait till we officially hit the road. Only three months to go, and counting.

No comments:

Post a Comment